It's been awhile, hasn't it? I'm back playing GMod again, and this time I'm here to stay.
After taking a 3+ month long break, I've realized that the pros outweight the cons of owning a community.
While the patch notes may seem small, there are some background changes that took a very long time, and will be healthy for the future of Devolved.
More updates will be coming this week, CSGO Crate #2 coming tonight
Questions & AnswersI thought you hated this community?
- Overhauled inventory code. Items can now allow for data which means later we'll be adding support for name tags, effects, etc.
- Majorly optimized F4 menu - using it should be smooth as butter now
- Majorly optimized main menu loading - precaching now uses a queue system as well (no more long game freezes)
- Economy changes - crate drops are now more sparse and "cooler" items are now more rare
- Gunplay changes - Jumping will now make your accuracy complete garbage
- Added weapon inspection - Use + Right Click. Animation is somewhat placeholder. May not be perfect on all weapons yet.
- Added Gold Bar Stack (takes 5 gold bars)
- Added winter theme
- Added FoV slider added to F1 > Settings (75-90 for now, will be changed later)
- New about page is shown when on the main menu (hopefully attracts more new players)
- Overhauled opening crates including the animations, sounds, and general look
- New sound effects when reaching certain XP goals (1/5 increments) when watching your end round XP bar
- Added new animations to F4, F1, and the mapvote
- Mapvoting box placement is now truly randomized (hopefully)
- Fixed any and all bugs caused by changing your resolution mid-game
- Tons of other smaller changes which you can briefly read through http://twitter.com/devolvedupdates for more info
Part of the reason I disliked the community is I never had real, full control over it.
A lot of staff members made their way up the chain via other people.
A lot of people had these circlejerk groups that grew from the beginning.
Now that everything has been on hiatus, we can all start fresh.
No staff, no circlejerkgroups (even though they'll come back), and I can evaluate everyone from the ground up.
The community will probably also be a lot smaller, since many will not come back.
Nonetheless, it doesn't matter who's in the community.
The fact is any type of person is cool with me - my mentality has changed quite a bit in the small break I've taken.I thought you hated TTT drama?
After the last few months, I realized drama is part of anything. Communities, jobs, real life, whatever.
It's something you need to learn to deal with.
I've dealt with quite a bit more drama than my entire life in the last few months from my new business, and I'm okay with that.
You deal with drama and then you move on. That's that. That's life.
ARKServers.net has had a lot more drama then Devolved.
People create support tickets complaining about fighting on server comments on a daily basis.
I have to evaluate the situations, clean it up, and then let everyone know it was dealt with.
Hell, look at this drama:https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3fj2k5/psa_arkserversnet_will_remove_any_negative/
It's part of owning pretty much anything. It's something I can handle, deal with, then disregard now.
So bring on the drama. I thought you were tired of people acting like this is your job?
I thought about that, and I decided I should be treating this like a job in the first place.
Sure, not a full time job - but I think one of the main issues is people didn't know where donations were going.
When donations are re-enabled, there will be goals for the month that will result in a certain amount of updates
For example: $40 = One big patch, at least 10 patch notes, 1 new item
$80 = Another big patch, at least 10 patch notes, 1 new crate (3+ new items)
$120 = New rare crate addition
This is just an example, but it'd be something similar to that.I thought you hated TTT?
Another thing I thought about. Then I realized that this server can act as a portal to all our other gamemodes.
The Garry's Mod server browser sucks.
It puts popular gamemodes at the top, meaning a crappy "Devolved RP" would be at the very very bottom and would be hard to populate.
Instead, we can have this TTT server as our main "portal". It'll be easy to find since TTT is at the top of the GMod server list.
Then, you could take the entire server (or a chunk of it) to mini-gamemodes (raids being one of them).
That is where I could let my creativity shine. Various mini-gamemodes that you go to from our main TTT "portal server".Are you going to ever hiatus / shut down the server again?
No, you have my word - the server won't be going on hiatus from this point onward. Ever.
To be fair, the server never shut down - it's had almost perfect uptime since 3 months ago. I just wiped all the data, so there was no reason to play.THERE ARE 2 FORUMS? WTF DO I DO?
Use this one. I am going to deem this as the "TTT forum".
Things are still kind of up in the air, and we'll probably talk more about this stuff in-game.